Press "Enter" to skip to content

Boy Has A Huge Chunk Of His Brain Removed For Epilepsy Treatment

The brain has been known to be the most important organ of the body. There is no need to tamper with, or modify it, unless either absolutely necessary, or one is creating a Frankenstein’s monster. However, in a twist, the decision to remove parts of the brain turned out to be the savior of a boy’s life. The details of the now 9-year old kid are unknown; however, his case has become the subject of a new research paper. The most awesome aspect of this case may be that the boy wants to become a neurologist when he grows up.

The child began having seizures when he was just 4 years old. His epileptic condition worsened over the course of time and no amount of treatment or course was helping him get back to a normal life. With no other alternative, doctors decided to remove a part of his brain, which is when things became interesting. The surgery performed on the boy included the removal of around a third of his brain’s right hemisphere, at a tender age of 6. Doctors removed portions of the brain that controls sensory inputs, with hopes of decrease in the seizures mixed with worries about how it may impact the child’s development. However, three years later, there has been no cause of worry for the doctors, with the boy’s cognitive abilities and intelligence functioning normally, owing to the left hemisphere of his brain pulling some extra load. Doctors state that the boy was lucky to get operated at such a young age, due to which his brain had ample time to readjust and strategize during its development.

Meanwhile, an 8-year old girl in India was rushed to the hospital, complaining of severe headaches and epileptic seizures for a few months. The case took a horrifying turn when it was discovered that 100 tapeworm eggs were lodged within her brain. Doctors at New Delhi’s Fortis Hospital told reporters that the larvae must have travelled through her blood stream, causing the swelling, and that she was almost unconscious by the time she was admitted. The CDC speculated that the chief culprit in this case could have been raw or undercooked meat, which carries Taenia solium tapeworms. Dr Praveen Gupta, the neurology director at the hospital, stated that their primary objective was to reduce the swelling, only after which they administered drugs. Surprisingly, the girl underwent a quick recovery.